Friday, March 27, 2009

Living lean and mean?

Okay... I was reading Frugal Dad and the latest entry is on saving just a bit over $14,000 in six months. Do what? This guest writer calls himself small-fry. So what am I? I can't think of a term to use for me seeing as that 14+ grand he will save in six months is nearly as much as I am going to live on in one year.

Sometimes it is so hard to take such sites seriously. At least for some of those I know. Surely there are more people out there living in 20 grand or so a year?

Then there is one person I know who has cried to me a few times about how little money she has to live on etc.. while I happen to know it is not far short of four grand a month. And she thinks that is doing without? Take home. House paid for.

I know, I know. Being broke is relative my husband always said. It is just hard to realize and accept I am apparently living at poverty level. So where are the articles on frugal living for me?

Hey, I can write one! How to save $140 in six months. Isn't that exciting?

Okay, so this is a bit of a downer. I just had to get it out of my system. I am poor! But life is good. Even if it is a bit hard sometimes to do things like - oh.. buy new carpet! Or a new (to me) car when this old one (13 yrs, 240,000+ miles) finally breaks down. But life is good. And most if not all of the small pleasures in life are free. I'm rich!

“There is no greater sin than desire, No greater curse than discontent, No greater misfortune than wanting something for oneself. Therefore he who knows that enough is enough will always have enough.” - Lao Tzu

No comments:

Post a Comment